Dr. Ellen Thomas is an assistant professor of marketing at New Jersey Institute of Technology’s School of Management. Her teaching and research interests focus on new product development, innovation management, strategic issues in marketing, and managerial decision-making. While pursuing her terminal degree, she was named a finalist in the Product Development and Management Association’s dissertation proposal competition and the Cochran Research Center Award for Excellence in Research by a Doctoral Student. Her research has appeared in outlets such at Industrial Marketing Management and international conference proceedings.
Dr. Thomas currently teaches required marketing and management courses in the MBA, MS and undergraduates programs. She also taught in the Fox School of Business at Temple University and in the Rutgers School of Business (Camden), where she received multiple teaching awards. Prior to entering academia, Dr. Thomas worked as a mechanical engineer at a global defense company and an east coast energy producer and distributor. She also opened and operated her own retail business.
• PhD, Temple University, 2010• MBA, Drexel University, 2002• BS in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania
• New product development• Innovation management• Strategic issues in marketing• B2B Marketing• Managerial decision-making
Publications & Projects
Refereed Journal Articles
• Thomas, Ellen (2012) "Exploring the Strategic Use of Platform-Based Planning," Atlantic Marketing Journal: Vol. 1, 31-43.
• McDade, Sean, Terence Oliva, and Ellen Thomas (2010), “Forecasting Organizational Adoption of High-Technology Product Innovations Separated by Impact: Are Traditional Macro-Level Diffusion Models Appropriate?” Industrial Marketing Management, 39(2), 298-307
• Mudambi, Susan, Terence Oliva and Ellen Thomas (2009), “Industrial Marketing Firms and Knowledge Transfer: Toward a Basic Typology of Community Structures,” Industrial Marketing Management, 38(2), 181-190
Other Peer Reviewed Publications
• Thomas, Ellen (2011), “Exploring the Strategic Use of Platform-based Planning”, Atlantic Marketing Association Annual Meeting Proceedings, Charleston, SC
• Thomas, Ellen and Anthony DiBenedetto (2011), “The Relationship between Platform Product Design and Environmental Uncertainty”, AMA Summer Educators’ Conference Proceedings, San Francisco, CA
• Thomas, Ellen, Terence Oliva, Sean McDade (2008), “Are Traditional Macro-level Diffusion Models Appropriate When Forecasting Organizational Adoption of High-Tech Products?”, AMA Summer Educators’ Conference Proceedings, San Diego, CA
• Thomas, Ellen (2007), “A Review and Framework of Global Strategies for Managing Parallel Imports”, Atlantic Marketing Association Annual Meeting Proceedings, New Orleans, LA