Jerry Fjermestad is a professor in the School of Management at NJIT. He received his Ph.D. from Rutgers University in management information systems. Jerry’s current research is on computer-mediated-communications and leadership, electronic customer relationship management, and information personalization, privacy and security. He has co-edited eleven special issues in various IS journals including the International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Electronic Markets, and Group Decision and Negotiation.
Jerry’s publications include one edited book on CRM and over a hundred scholarly papers in a number of journals and proceedings such as Communications of the ACM, Decision Support Systems, Journal of Management Information Systems, and Information and Management. He serves on the editorial board for several journals and organizations, including Journal of Information Science and Technology, the International Journal of Electronic Collaboration, and the International Journal of Information Security and privacy.
• Ph.D., Management Information Systems, Rutgers University, 1994 • MBA, Management Information Systems, Rutgers University, 1994 • MBA, Production & Operations Management, Iona College, 1987 • MS, Operations Research, Polytechnic University, 1982 • MS, Psychology, State University of New York t Cortland, 1977 • BA, Chemistry, Pacific Lutheran University, 1971
Honors & Awards
• Nominated for Excellence in Graduate Instruction- School of Management, 1998.• Nominated for Outstanding professional development in teaching by tenured faculty, SOM, February 2008.• Nominated for an award in Teaching Excellence in Upper Division Undergraduate Instruction by tenured faculty, SOM, January, 2009.• Nominated for an award in Teaching Excellence in Graduate instruction by tenured faculty, Information Systems Department, February, 2009.• Graduate Student Associate Fall 2006 Student Suling Zhang, Advisor J. Fjermestad, Best Poster/Paper award.• Provost’s Annual Third Student Research Showcase Awards Paper (Spring 2007), Jo Ann Saitta Best Paper, Advisor Dr. J. Fjermestad.• Nominated for an award in Teaching Excellence in Upper Division Undergraduate Instruction by tenured faculty, SOM, January, 2010.• Nominated for an award in Teaching Excellence in Graduate level instruction by tenured faculty, Information Systems Department, February 2010.• Teaching Excellence Award for Graduate level Instruction, 2010.• Nominated for teaching excellence Northeastern Graduate Association, 2011.
• MIS-645 Information Systems Principles • IS-677 Information Systems Principles • IS-679 IT/IS Strategy • MIS-625 E-commerce Strategy • MIS-663 Systems Analysis & Design for Managers • MIS-648 Decision Support Systems • MIS-245 MIS for Managers
Publications & Projects
• 106- Fjermestad, J., “An Analysis of Communication mode in Group Support Systems,” Decision Support Systems, 37, 2 (2004), 239-263.
• 95- Fjermestad, J. and Romano, N.C., “Electronic Customer Relationship Management Revisiting the General Theories of Usability and Resistance: An Integrative Implementation Framework,” Business Process Management Journal, 9, 5, (2003), 572-591.
• 119- Romano, N.C. Jr. and Fjermestad, J., “Electronic Commerce Customer Relationship Management: A Research Agenda,” Information Technology and Management, 4, 2003, 233-258.
• 53- Allen, E., and Fjermestad, J. “E-commerce Marketing Strategies: an Integrated Framework and Case Analysis,” Logistics Information Management, 14, 1/2, 2001, 14-23. Peer Review. E. Allen was an MS in Management student. Outstanding Paper Award 2002.
• 141- Romano, N.C. Jr. and Fjermestad, J., "Customer Relationship Management Research: An Assessment of Research," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 6, 2, 2001-2002, 59-111.
• 254- Fjermestad, J., and Hiltz, S.R., “Group Support Systems: A Descriptive Evaluation of Case and Field Studies.” Journal of Management Information Systems, 17, 3, 2000-2001, 115-161.
• 595- Fjermestad, J., and Hiltz, S.R., "An Assessment of Group Support Systems Experimental Research: Methodology and Results," Journal of Management Information Systems, 15, 3, 1999-2000, 7-149. Peer review. Nominated for best paper HICSS 1999.
• 116- Turoff, M., Hiltz, S.R., Bieber, M., Fjermestad, J., and Rana, A. "Collaborative Discourse Structures in Computer Mediated Group Communications," Journal of Computer Mediated Communication, 4, 4 (June) 1999.
• 104- Ocker, R., Fjermestad, J., Hiltz, S.R., and Johnson, K., "Effects of Four Modes of Group Communication on the Outcomes of Software Requirements Determination," Journal of Management Information Systems, 15 (1), 1998, 99-118.
• 153- Ocker, R., Hiltz, S.R., Turoff, M., and Fjermestad, J., "The Effects of Distributed Group Support and Process Structuring on Software Requirements Development Teams: Results on Creativity and Quality," Journal of Management Information Systems, 12 (3), 1995-1996, 127-153.