Shanthi Gopalakrishnan is a Professor of Management at the School of Management, at NJIT, New Jersey.
She received her Ph.D. in Organization Management from Rutgers University. Her research interests are in the area of innovation management, strategic alliances and knowledge management.
She has published over 50 articles on these topics. Dr. Gopalakrishnan is a member of the Academy of Management and was the President of Eastern Academy of Management and currently a Fellow of the EAM.
She has received several Best Research Paper Awards, from the Eastern Academy of Management in 1995, Academy of Management in 1997 and 2009, and from IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management in 2001.
She currently serves on the Editorial Boards of IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management, Group and Organization Management and on the advisory board of Organization Management Journal.
Ph.D. Organization Management, Rutgers University, May 1995.
M.B.A., General Management, Rutgers University, May 1991.
M.B.A., General Management, Jamanalal Bajaj Institute, India, May 1983.
B.A., History and Economics, Women’s Christian College, India, May 1981.
Honors & Awards
2010- SOM Research Award – New Jersey Institute of Technology
2009- Co-winner of “Best Paper Award” at the BPS Division of the Academy of Management.
2004- Winner “Bright idea Award” from Seton Hall University for a paper on Internet Strategies.
2002- Winner “Bright Idea Award” from the Seton Hall University for a paper in Business History.
2002- Winner of the 2000 Transactions Publication Award for Best Paper published in IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management.
1997- Co- Winner of the "Best Paper Award" of the TIM Division at the Academy of Management
1995-Winner the "Best Empirical Paper Award" at the Eastern Academy of Management.
• Perez Luno Roubledo, A., &Gopalakrishnan, S., Valle Cabrera, R., 2014. Innovation and Performance. The role of environmental dynamism on innovation choices. Accepted for publication IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management. April 2014.
• Wong-Mingji, D., Kessler, E., Gopalakrishnan, S., Khilji, S. 2014. Cross Cultural Perspectives: Using Cultural mythology to explore leadership patterns in India, Indonesia, Pakistan and the USA. South Asian Journal of Global Business Research. Vol. 3, (2) 79-101.
• Perez Luno, A., Saparito, S., and Gopalakrishnan, S. 2013.Small and Medium sized Enterprise’s entrepreneurial orientation and creation of tacit knowledge. Journal of Small Business Management. Vol.51 (4) 491-507.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., & Saparito P.A. 2011. Outsourcing in service based industries: An analysis using transaction
cost economics and Knowledge based view. International Journal of Knowledge Management Studies, 4, 359-374.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Kessler, E., Scillitoe, J.L. 2010. Navigating the Innovation Landscape: Past research, Present Practice and Future Trends. Organization Management Journal, 7, 262-277.
• Saparito, P.A., & Gopalakrishnan, S. 2009. The influence of communication richness, self- interest and relational trust on Bank’s knowledge about firms within small-cap debt finance markets. IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management, 56, 3, 436-447.
• Dunne, D., Gopalakrishnan, S., & Scillitoe, J.L. 2009. Firm resources and the choice between equity and non-equity alliance governance structures. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 26, 181-195
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Mangaliso, M. Butterfield, A.D. 2009. Managing ethically in times of transformation: Challenges and opportunities. Group and Organization Management, 33, 6: 756-759.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., 2008. Linking theory to Practice. EAM White Paper Series. Organization Management Journal. 5, 2, 3-5.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Santoro, M.D. & Scillitoe, J. 2008. Tapping Deep pockets: The role of resources and social capital on financial capital acquisition by biotech firms in biotech-pharma alliances. Journal of Management Studies, 45, 8, 1354-1376.
• Newbert, S., Gopalakrishnan, S., & Kirchhoff, B., 2007. Exploring the importance of entrepreneurship to firm level competitive advantage in technologically intensive industries. Technovation: The International Journal of Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Technology Management 28, 1-2, pg. 6-19.
• Santoro, M.D., Bierly, P.E., Gopalakrishnan, S. 2007. Organizational Learning from External Sources: New Issues and implications. Accepted for publication at International Journal of Technology Management, 38, 1-2, 1-11.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., & Bierly, P.E. 2005. The Impact of Firm Size and Age on Knowledge Strategies during product development: A Study of the Drug Delivery Industry. IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management, 53, 1: 3-16
• Springer Verlag, Berlin. Damanpour, F., & Gopalakrishnan, S. 1999. Organizationaladaptation and innovation: The dynamics of adopting Innovation Types. In K. Brockhoff, A.K. Chakrabarti. & h.c.J. Hauschildt (Eds). The Dynamics of Innovation: Strategic and Managerial Implications.
• Edward Elgar Publishers. Gopalakrishnan, S. & Kaur, R. 2008. Indian mythology and leadership. In Kessler, E & Wong, D. (Eds.) Cultural Mythology and Leadership.
• Scillitoe, J., Gopalakrishnan, S., & Santoro M., 2009 Geographic and Social Contexts onAlliance Governance in Biotechnology-Pharmaceutical Alliances. Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management Meetings, BPS Division. Chicago.
• Perez-Luno Roubledo, A., Gopalakrishnan, S., Valle-Cabrera, R., 2009. Innovation andPerformance: The role of environmental dynamism on the success of innovation choices. To be presented at the International Eastern Academy of Management Conference XIII. In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., & Schneider, M. 2007. Strategic leaders and Corporate Owners: Evaluating the Influence of Culture and National Institutions on Corporate Governance Systems. Symposium to presented at the International Eastern Academy of Management Meetings, Amsterdam, June 2007.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Santoro, M.D. & Scillitoe, J. 2006. Tapping Deep pockets: The role of resources and social capital on financial capital acquisition by biotech firms in biotech-pharma alliances. Proceedings of the PICMET conference, Istanbul, Turkey.
• Gopalakrishnan, S. , Njoroge, D., 2006. How and what to outsource: Strategic Decision Making in the Financial Services Industry. Proceedings of the 43rd Eastern Academy of Management, Saratoga Springs, NY.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Dunne, D. 2005. Understanding the links between technical, social capital and commercial capital and alliance governance structures. Proceedings of the Southern Management Association. Charleston, SC.