|Title:||Professor of Management|
|Hours:||Tuesday 2:30 to 4:00 pm Friday 2:30 to 4:00 pm|
Shanthi Gopalakrishnan (Ph.D) is a Professor of Management. She has previously been on the faculty of Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey. Her research interests are in the area of innovation management, strategic alliances, and outsourcing. She has published extensively on these topics in journals such as Journal of Management Studies, IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management, Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, and Academy of Management Executive. She has lectured internationally on topics such as Innovation management and strategic alliances.
Dr. Gopalakrishnan was the Past President and current Fellow of Eastern Academy of Management. She is currently serves on the editorial and advisory boards of Group and Organization Management, Organization Management Journal and is the current Editor-in-Chief of South Asian Journal of Business Studies.
Ph.D. Organization Management, Rutgers University, May 1995.
M.B.A., General Management, Rutgers University, May 1991.
M.B.A., General Management, Jamanalal Bajaj Institute, India, May 1983.
B.A., History and Economics, Women’s Christian College, India, May 1981.
Honors & Awards
- 2010- SOM Research Award – New Jersey Institute of Technology
- 2009- Co-winner of “Best Paper Award” at the BPS Division of the Academy of Management.
- 2004- Winner “Bright idea Award” from Seton Hall University for a paper on Internet Strategies.
- 2002- Winner “Bright Idea Award” from the Seton Hall University for a paper in Business History.
- 2002- Winner of the 2000 Transactions Publication Award for Best Paper published in IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management.
- 1997- Co- Winner of the "Best Paper Award" of the TIM Division at the Academy of Management
- 1995-Winner the "Best Empirical Paper Award" at the Eastern Academy of Management.
- MGMT 492 - Business Policy
- MGMT 620 - Management of Technology
- MGMT 692 - Business Strategy
- HRM 630 - Managing Technical and Organizational Change
- Cross border alliances and their governance
- Knowledge Based View of the Firm
- Collaborative ventures between Universities and Industrial Organizations.
- Managing Organizational Change in the Banking Industry
- Mergers and Acquisitions in the Banking Industry
- E-Commerce and its impact on the Commercial Banking industry
Publications & Projects
Refereed Journal Publications
• Perez Luno Roubledo, A., & Gopalakrishnan, S., Valle Cabrera, R., 2014. Innovation and Performance. The role of environmental dynamism on innovation choices. Accepted for publication IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management. April 2014.
• Wong-Mingji, D., Kessler, E., Gopalakrishnan, S., Khilji, S. 2014. Cross Cultural Perspectives: Using Cultural mythology to explore leadership patterns in India, Indonesia, Pakistan and the USA. South Asian Journal of Global Business Research. Vol. 3, (2) 79-101.
• Perez Luno, A., Saparito, S., and Gopalakrishnan, S. 2013. Small and Medium sized Enterprise’s entrepreneurial orientation and creation of tacit knowledge. Journal of Small Business Management. Vol.51 (4) 491-507.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., & Saparito P.A. 2011. Outsourcing in service based industries: An analysis using transaction cost economics and Knowledge based view. International Journal of Knowledge Management Studies, 4, 359-374.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Kessler, E., Scillitoe, J.L. 2010. Navigating the Innovation Landscape: Past research, Present Practice and Future Trends. Organization Management Journal, 7, 262-277.
• Saparito, P.A., & Gopalakrishnan, S. 2009. The influence of communication richness, self- interest and relational trust on Bank’s knowledge about firms within small-cap debt finance markets. IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management, 56, 3, 436-447.
• Dunne, D., Gopalakrishnan, S., & Scillitoe, J.L. 2009. Firm resources and the choice between equity and non-equity alliance governance structures. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 26, 181-195
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Mangaliso, M. Butterfield, A.D. 2009. Managing ethically in times of transformation: Challenges and opportunities. Group and Organization Management, 33, 6: 756-759.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., 2008. Linking theory to Practice. EAM White Paper Series. Organization Management Journal. 5, 2, 3-5.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Santoro, M.D. & Scillitoe, J. 2008. Tapping Deep pockets: The role of resources and social capital on financial capital acquisition by biotech firms in biotech-pharma alliances. Journal of Management Studies, 45, 8, 1354-1376.
• Newbert, S., Gopalakrishnan, S., & Kirchhoff, B., 2007. Exploring the importance of entrepreneurship to firm level competitive advantage in technologically intensive industries. Technovation: The International Journal of Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Technology Management 28, 1-2, pg. 6-19.
• Santoro, M.D., Bierly, P.E., Gopalakrishnan, S. 2007. Organizational Learning from External Sources: New Issues and implications. Accepted for publication at International Journal of Technology Management, 38, 1-2, 1-11.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., & Bierly, P.E. 2005. The Impact of Firm Size and Age on Knowledge Strategies during product development: A Study of the Drug Delivery Industry. IEEE Transactions in Engineering Management, 53, 1: 3-16
• Springer Verlag, Berlin. Damanpour, F., & Gopalakrishnan, S. 1999. Organizational
adaptation and innovation: The dynamics of adopting Innovation Types. In K. Brockhoff, A.K. Chakrabarti. & h.c.J. Hauschildt (Eds). The Dynamics of Innovation: Strategic and Managerial Implications.
• Edward Elgar Publishers. Gopalakrishnan, S. & Kaur, R. 2008. Indian mythology and leadership. In Kessler, E & Wong, D. (Eds.) Cultural Mythology and Leadership.
• Scillitoe, J., Gopalakrishnan, S., & Santoro M., 2009 Geographic and Social Contexts on Alliance Governance in Biotechnology-Pharmaceutical Alliances. Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management Meetings, BPS Division. Chicago.
• Perez-Luno Roubledo, A., Gopalakrishnan, S., Valle-Cabrera, R., 2009. Innovation and Performance: The role of environmental dynamism on the success of innovation choices. To be
presented at the International Eastern Academy of Management Conference XIII. In Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., & Schneider, M. 2007. Strategic leaders and Corporate Owners: Evaluating the Influence of Culture and National Institutions on Corporate Governance Systems. Symposium to presented at the International Eastern Academy of Management Meetings, Amsterdam, June 2007.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Santoro, M.D. & Scillitoe, J. 2006. Tapping Deep pockets: The role of resources and social capital on financial capital acquisition by biotech firms in biotech-pharma alliances. Proceedings of the PICMET conference, Istanbul, Turkey.
• Gopalakrishnan, S. , Njoroge, D., 2006. How and what to outsource: Strategic Decision Making in the Financial Services Industry. Proceedings of the 43rd Eastern Academy of Management, Saratoga Springs, NY.
• Gopalakrishnan, S., Dunne, D. 2005. Understanding the links between technical, social capital and commercial capital and alliance governance structures. Proceedings of the Southern Management Association. Charleston, SC.