Katia Passerini is Professor and the Hurlburt Chair of Management Information Systems (2006-2015) at the School of Management of the New Jersey Institute of Technology where she teaches courses in MIS, knowledge management, and IT strategy.
She has published in refereed journals and proceedings (Communications of the ACM, IEEE IT Professional, Communications of AIS, Society and Business Review, Journal of Knowledge Management, Computers & Education, Journal of Educational Hypermedia and Multimedia, IEEE Internet Computing) and professional journals (Project Management Network, Cutter IT Journal, Cutter Benchmark Review), particularly in the area of computer-mediated learning, IT productivity, and knowledge management.
Dr. Passerini’s co-authored book on “Information Technology for Small Business: Managing the Digital Enterprise” (Springer, 2012) discusses how small and medium-sized businesses can leverage today’s mobile and “as-a-service” technology to thrive in highly competitive global environments.
Katia’s professional background includes multi-industry projects at Booz Allen Hamilton (now Booz & Co.) and the World Bank where she focused on information technology projects in Europe, North America and the South Pacific. Katia is a certified project management professional (PMP®) and worked on various projects in the automotive and telecommunications industries and higher education. Some of her projects included business process management, balanced scorecard definition, business needs analyses and gaps assessment, benchmarking, evaluation of IT investments feasibility and outcomes.
• Ph.D. in Information Systems, The George Washington University • M.A. in Economics, University of Rome II - Tor Vergata • M.B.A. in International Business, The George Washington University • B.A. in Political Science, L.U.I.S.S. University - Rome
Certifications• Certificate in Business Project Management, New York University
Honors & Awards
• Bright Idea Award, October 2012, for the 2011 article in IEEE IT Professional by NJPRO Foundation and Stillman School of Business at Seton Hall University
• University Robert W. Van Houten Alumni Award for Teaching Excellence, 2012 • University Master Teacher Award, 2011 • University Award for Excellence in Innovative Teaching 2010 • Wireless Telecom Symposium (WTS) Service Award, 5/2007 (for service as conference co-Chair) • Best Practice-based Research Paper Award, April 2007, with Karen Patten, ISOne World Conference
• Mobile and wireless technology • Knowledge-based development • Computer-mediated learning
Funded Research (selected): State & Federal Grants
• Steffen, Nancy L. (Principal), Passerini, Katia (Co-Principal), Wu, Yi-Fang (Co-Principal) "More than the Sum of Its Parts: Advancing Women at NJIT through Collaborative Research Networks," Sponsored by NSF, Federal, $478,147 (2010-12).
• Jabi, W. (PI), Borcea C., Churchill E., Jones Q., Passerini K. (Co-PIs). CreativeIT– Applying The Architecture Studio Model to Foster Creativity in Computer Science, Sponsored by NSF, Federal, $198,598 (2007-2008).
• Spak, Gale et al. (PI), Anandarajan A., Passerini K. (4th yr curriculum developers), Partnerships for Innovation in the Financial Industry, NJ-Department of Labor and Dept of Education, $150,000 (2007-2008).
Publications & Projects
BooksPasserini, K, El Tarabishy, A., Patten, K. (2012) Information Technology for Small Business: Managing the Digital Enterprise, Springer Science+Business Media, ISBN 978-1-4614-3039-1 e-ISBN 978-1-4614-3040-7
• Sorrentino, M., Passerini, K., Evaluating e-government initiatives: the role of formative assessment during implementation. Electronic Government, an International Journal, 9(2), 2012, pp. 128-141.
• Gagnon, S., Nabelsi, V., Passerini, K., Cakici, K. The Next Web Apps Architecture: Challenges for SaaS Vendors, IEEE IT Professional, 13 (5) Sept-Oct., pp. 44-50, 2011.
• Sorrentino, M., Passerini, K., Evaluating Public Programs Implementation: An Exploratory Case Study. International Journal of Electronic Government Research, 6 (3), July-Sept, pp. 1-13, 2010.
• Gomez, E.A., Wu, D., Passerini, K., Computer-supported team-based learning: The impact of motivation, enjoyment and team contributions on learning outcomes. Computers & Education, 55, pp. 378-390, 2010.
• Gomez, E. A., Wu, D., Passerini, K. Traditional, Hybrid and Online Teamwork: Lessons from the Field. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 25, pp. 395-412, 2009.
• Chou, B., Passerini, K. Intellectual Property Rights and Knowledge Sharing Dilemma across Countries: The Empirical and Theoretical Perspectives. Journal of Knowledge Management, 13 (5), pp. 331-344, 2009.
• Walsh, D., Passerini, K., Varshney, U. Fjermestad, J. Safeguarding patient privacy in electronic healthcare in the USA: the legal view. International Journal of Electronic Healthcare, Vol. 4(3/4), pp. 311-326, 2008.
• Passerini, K., Wu, D. The New Dimension of Collaboration: Mega and Intelligent Communities, ICT and Well-Being. Journal of Knowledge Management, 12(5), pp. 79-90, 2008.
• Fjermestad, J., Passerini, K., Bartolacci, M., Patten, K. Wireless Connectivity and Its Relationship to Emerging Economies: The Example of China. International Journal of Mobile Communications (IJMC), 6(5), pp. 633-645, June 2008.
• Passerini, K., Fjermestad, J. A Review of Methods to Assess National Knowledge in the Knowledge Economy. Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS),Vol. 20, pp. 102-123, July, 2007.
• Passerini, K. Knowledge-Driven Development Indicators: Still an Eclectic Panorama. Journal of Knowledge Management, 7(11), pp. 115-128, October 2007.
• Passerini, K., Patten, K. Bartolacci, M., Fjermestad, J. Reflections and Trends in the Expansion of Cellular Wireless Services in the US and China. Communications of the ACM (CACM), 50(10), pp. 25-28. October 2007.
• Saltz, J. S., Hiltz, S.R., Turoff, M. and Passerini, K. (2007) Increasing Participation in Distance Learning Courses. IEEE Internet Computing, 11(3), pp. 36- 44, May-June 2007.
• Passerini, K. Performance and Behavioural Outcomes in Technology-Supported Learning: The Role of Interactive Multimedia. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, Vol. 16(2), pp. 183-211, 2007.
• Balmisse, G., Meingan D., Passerini, K. Technology Trends in Knowledge Management Tools. International Journal of Knowledge Management (IJKM), 3(2), pp. 118-130, 2007.
• Passerini K. The Power of Alliances: The Ugandan Infectious Disease Institute Initiative. Society and Business Review, 1(3)pp. 220-234, November 2006.
• Fjermestad, J., Passerini, K., Patten, K. Bartolacci, M., Ullman, D. Moving Towards Mobile Third Generation Telecommunications Standards: The Good And Bad Of The ‘Anytime/Anywhere’ Solutions. Communications of the Association of Information Systems (CAIS), 17, pp. 71-89.January, 2006.
• Passerini K. Working with Real Customers: Examples from Project-Based MIS Courses. Journal of Informatics Education & Research, 8(1), pp. 77-101. Spring 2006.