Financial Literacy FAQs
Financial Literacy FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will the program be taught by an NJIT professor?
- Answer: Yes, the program will be taught by Steven Gomez - Executive Director at Greater Newark Enterprises Corporation - who is also currently a Professor of Practice at NJIT. For more information about the GNEC, please visit https://gnecorp.org/.
- Are the students required to bring anything to the program?
- Answer: Students are not required to bring anything unless they choose to. The program will provide all the necessary supplies such as writing utensils, notebooks, folders, etc.
- Is there a required dress attire the students should be aware of?
- Answer: For everyday classes we ask that students dress appropriately - no cropped tops or shorts above mid-thigh. On presentation days and at the closing luncheon students are required to dress business professional.
- Do the students receive college credit for attending this program?
- Answer: Although the students do not receive any college credits for attending the program, they gain many useful skills that can be used both inside and out of the classroom and experience on a college campus.
- How long will the program be held?
- Answer: The program runs for 4 weeks, the last week in June to the third week of July. During the 3rd week of the program, students will stay overnight at Princeton Blairstown Center in Hardwick, NJ for the experiential portion of the camp. Please see the application for more details.
- How will I keep in touch with my child while they are away at Princeton Blairstown?
- Answer: Starting in 2019, a new cell phone policy will be implemented in the program; cell phones will be collected from students each day from 9a-9p. They will have limited access to their phones throughout the day but will be able to check-in during meal times if requested. The program director and the lead TA will send their contact information along with the PBC staff's information directly to parents, all of who can be contacted 24/7. Throughout the day, staff will communicate through walkie-talkies.
- Will photos be taken and posted of the students' experiences at the program?
- Answer: Yes, college student TAs will take pictures every day during the four weeks and at the end of the program all photos will be uploaded to Flickr and the link will be sent out to parents/students accordingly. The links will also be posted to the MTSM website.