The Martin Tuchman School of Management Academic Standards and Petition Committee expects students to be aware of all University policies, regulations and the academic deadline dates.
University policies, regulations and the academic deadline dates which are published on the Office of the Registrar website.
There may be some cases where a student pursuing a degree within MTSM can file an Academic Petition. These academic issues include:
• Change in MTSM course Requirement
- Substitution of unapproved course(s) for MTSM Program Requirements
- Waiver of course
• Independent Study
- For students who want highly specialized study with a specific faculty member in areas in which specifically titled courses are not normally available. To request an independent study you need to attach a mini syllabus and this must be approved by the instructor prior to the start of the semester.
• Other Issue
The petition decisions are final. Students cannot appeal petition committee decisions. The committee decision will be provided to the student's academic advisor who will inform the student and the decision will be included in the student's Degreeworks notes.
Please note that some academic issues are addressed by other policies. One of these is a Grade Change Appeal. This is not a petition issue, please contact the instructor/professor directly regarding this request.
The form and procedure for filing an academic petition is included below.
Students will receive a response within 10 days of petition submission.
Guidelines to File a MTSM Academic Petition
The following guide was designed to assist the student with preparation for filing a MTSM Academic Petition. MTSM requires students to review the below information and directions and acknowledge the student understands the information listed below prior to filing an Academic Petition.
Please note that submission of any petition does not constitute a guarantee of approval. Students are responsible for ensuring that your academic standing and progress are maintained at levels deemed acceptable by university standards.
Provide a Rationale for a Petition Request:
- The student must provide a narrative statement (typed) explaining the rationale for the petition request.
- This narrative statement must be typed directly into the online application for each specific Academic Petition.
- Please use spell check prior to placing the statement into the online application box.
Review final details to file a MTSM Academic Petition
- Application and Reason for filing the Petition: The MTSM Academic Petition Online Application will only allow the student to file one petition per issue. If the student has two different issues that require filing a petition during or close to the same time period, then please understand the student must file a separate online petition regarding each specific issue and a decision will be determined per each specific issue regarding each separate petition.
- Results and Outcomes: Please understand, all petitions that are submitted without all necessary and relevant recommendations will be returned as incomplete and will delay a response to the student's petition. Please understand, submitting a MTSM Academic Petition does not constitute a guarantee of approval.
- Timeline regarding results/outcomes: A response to an Academic Petition application will be provided within 10 days after the Petition was received via the online application portal.
- Communication of Outcomes/Results: Because of privacy and confidentiality concerns, petition results cannot be given over the telephone. The Committee's decision will be sent to the student's NJIT email address..
- Student Information Responsibility and Action: The applicant/student is expected to fully read the information outlined above and acknowledge understanding of all the necessary information and directions outlined in the statement.
Click here to go to the MTSM Academic Petition - Online Application.